Thursday, January 10, 2013

Another Teenage Dystopia Trilogy

I enjoyed reading the first two books in the Divergent Series.  I decided to try them because they were so popular on Goodreads.com, the web place for talking about books.  You can keep a list of read and to be read books at Goodreads.  There is a quicksearch mechanism that can help you figure out the next book you need to read in a series like James Rollins Sigma series (this series is not alphabetized like Sue Grafton or numbered like Evanovich).  Authors are also on Goodreads.com 

Here are my reviews on Victoria Roths Divergent and Insurgent (Divergent Book 2).
Divergent (Divergent, #1)Divergent by Veronica Roth

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Another teenage dystopia saga...and I still liked it.  Hunger Games had more intensity, but Divergent has enough to hold my interest.  The story is clearly building and I like the underlying premise of genetic influencing value systems vs. cultural development of values.  It is a different approach to the nature vs. nurture discussion. 



View all my reviews


Insurgent (Divergent, #2)Insurgent by Veronica Roth

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I often wait until the series is finished before I begin a trilogy.  I hate having to wait for the next book.  This series gets more intersting as it develops in this, the second book.  The storyline matures and the dystopian theme expands beyond teenagers into a battle within different factions of a society and the interdependence among them.  The stage is well set for an exploration of the meaning and construction of society in the next book.  I wish I didn't have to wait...until Fall 2013.



View all my reviews

No comments: