Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Cancer by the Numbers

The Fault in Our StarsThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This book and its telling si a gift beyond entertainment.  John Green's insight into human mortality is powerful and meaningful.  Teenagers forced to face mortality by the challenge of cancer when their understanding of self and life are yet undiscovered is bold, painful, and genuine.  It was a story that chose John Green for the telling.  It was an eleven year struggle to deliver this book.  I am thanful for John Green's apprciation of the augmentation of the story that could happen through a spot-on narration and for Kate Rudd who delivered it wonderfully.  John Green gets the power of the "numbers" in the story of cancer.  Agustus has a diagnosis of bone cancer with an 80% chance of survival.  The non-cancer patient will wonder why you shoud be worried with numbers like that.  But Agustus chooses a burial plot and a "death suit."  I recall the the doctors revelation of my childs prognosis with a diagnosis of melanoma at age 19.  85% chance that the cancer could be surgically removed and 100% cure.  If the melanoma had spread (15% chance), then the chance of survival was 5%.  Cancer robs teenagers of their immortality.  I adore the characterand spirit of Hazel Grace.  I rarely read a novel more once.  I will reread this book as I know there willl be more to aborb on a second go round.



View all my reviews

No comments: