Monday, August 25, 2008

What I told Oprah when she asked what I read this summer

OK, I had plans for "Eat, Pray, Love" and "The World is Flat" and a second time through "A New Earth." Instead, I got a post card invitation to Borders and had the opportunity to meet Rebecca Hale and her lovely laid back cat characters, Isabella and Rupert, in her new book "How to wash a Cat." This is a fun mystery that ties the gold rush days, little known history of Jackson Square in San Francisco and an eclectic assortment of other human characters. I happened on Kyra Davis' "Sex, Murder and a Double Latte" in an audible romance sale. Another terrific mystery set in San Francisco. How could you miss with a protagonist whose father was black and whose mother is Jewish and whose love interest is a hot Russian? I could not wait until I could get my hands on the rest of the series and her other novel, "So Much For My Happy Ending." While reading the last of the series, I could not put it down. It was a Sunday and my family was away for the Weekend. I read all day and did not stop until I had finished the book.

Chris Grabenstein's John Ceepak Series set in Sea Haven, N.J., is totally fun. Tilt-a-whirl, Mad Mouse, Whack-a-Mole and Hell Hole are all amusement park rides. I enjoy the relationships building between Danny Boyle and John Ceepak and other along the way to using forensics to piece together solutions to murders. While reading Grabenstein's books I am in a really good mood and optimistic about good overcoming evil.

I like to read fiction that is set in the location of my travels. I started listening to James Lee Burke's "Tin Roof Blow Down" en route to New Orleans in July. I was on the shuttle from the airport to a convention center hotel while the novel was telling a terrifying tale of Katrina. Burke made the scene come alive and I could see the ghost of Katrina all around me even though the physical evidence was no longer present. I was so upset, I could not continue reading the book during my visit. I attended American Veterinary Medical Association Conference and finished "Tin Roof Blow Down" on the way home. Burke is an eloquent writer and this is the first book that I have recommended to my husband in ages. I am looking forward to going back and reading the entire Dave Robicheaux series. Burke gets down and dirty and really into the motivation of characters.

As you can tell, I enjoy series mysteries and continued the most recent additions to Janet Evanovich' number series with "Fearless Fourteen" and Dean Koontz' Odd Thomas Series with "Odd Hours” and James Patterson's Maximum Rides Series with "Final Warning."

I like to read a book before seeing the movie and so I also read the prequel to the Da Vinci Code, "Angels and Demons," Stephanie Meyer's series first "Twilight" and Robert Parker's Western Appaloosa. I thought "Angels" was lots better than Da Vinci code and I am looking forward to Tom Hanks in the film. Twilight is sappy, but my 12 year old niece loves it and we can talk about "stuff" when we talk about the book. And what about "Appaloosa?” Well, I am not much for westerns, but my husband likes them. When the movie comes out, he will get a western and I will get VIGGO MORTENSEN! Everybody wins!

No comments: